Yearlong Intensive Study Course
with Tuere Sala
5:00 PM (Starting 5/22 and generally meeting on 4th Sundays: 5/22, 6/26, 7/24, 8/28, 9/25, 10/30, 11/27, 12/18, 1/22/2017, 2/19/2017, 3/19/2017, 4/23/2017. )
at Seattle Insight Meditation Center, (2729 6th Ave. S., Seattle, 98134) (Map It)
With Tuere Sala, assisted by Tim Geil.
This course is in progress and is not accepting attendees.
We will be exploring some of the more complex aspects of practice associated with dependent origination and voidness/emptiness. We will be practicing with the subtle nuances around the three characteristics, the three unwholesome roots and the five aggregates. We will learn how to be still with our impulses, reactions and urges and begin letting them become our guides rather just another bad habits.
This is an intensive "practice" course. We will be working around what is awakened through practice. We will use contemplations, Suttas, readings, and sitting journals to open our wisdom capacity. We will use friendship, mantras and ceremony to open our heart or compassion capacity.
The basic structure will be as follows:
- Monthly class will set practice focus for the month.
- Homework will consist of readings, listening to a dharma talk and daily noticing. Note: Participants will need to purchase or share 3 books.
- Participants will have practice partner(s) and will meet outside of class at least once during the month via phone, email, Skype or in person.
- Participants will be required to maintain a practice journal. It will not be turned in or shared but will be used to support participant's awareness of wisdom.
- Teacher interviews are available if needed.
To be eligible for this course, you should meet these requirements:
- Daily Sitting Practice
- 12+ days retreat (may include residential, nonresidential and Day of Mindfulness)
- Minimum of 3 years practice
- Commitment to deepening practice
- Willingness to remain engaged with class for the entire year
If you would like to be considered for the course but do not meet one or more of the above requirements, you may send a letter to the teachers explaining why you would like to participate. To email one of the teachers, click their name here for a link: Tuere, Tim.
Registration and Donation
The suggested donation is $120 for the twelve-month series, plus teacher dana. (Dana is a term for generosity, or freely offered giving.) Teacher dana can be offered at the event. Please use your best efforts to pay the suggested donation or another heartfelt amount. All are welcome regardless of ability to pay.
To inquire about the accessibility of SIMS events, such as wheelchair accessibility or seating for those with visual or auditory disabilities, email firstname.lastname@example.org. If, for physical or other reasons, you are not able to participate for the entire event, you are welcome to participate to the extent you are able. Please contact the event organizer or teacher at the event if you have questions.